A growth of 11% for French e-commerce in the 1st quarter of 2014

Shares

FEVAD (French national association of Ecommerce Europe) has released the French internet sales figures for the first quarter of 2014. The internet sales increased by 11% compared to the first quarter of 2013. In the same period, the number of transactions increased by 15%. The total amount spent on-line by the French was 13.4 billion euros. These results are based on information collected from the main retail websites and on the total value of transactions handled by the main payment platforms on behalf of 144,000 internet sites.

If the value of the average basket continues to fall to 81.5 euros, a decrease of 4% in a year, the frequency of purchase continues to rise, to reach six purchases per quarter (+10 %).

The average amount spent by online shoppers is 491 euros (as compared to 467 euros in the first quarter of 2013), an increase of 5%. The increase in frequency of purchase therefore offsets the decline in the average value of purchases.

Even more retail websites and on-line shoppers
There are now 144,000 active sites in France, an increase of 17% over the year. This means that in 12 months, 21,000 additional sites have been added, to enrich the internet offer accessible to online shoppers.
There are now 34 million French on-line consumers, over a million more than last year. (Source: Médiamétrie).

iCE 40 Index increases by 3% in the first quarter

Sites in the iCE 40 panel, which measures the growth of comparable leading sites, have seen their overall turnover increase by 3% over the year in a context where the fall in consumption (-0.17%) continued over the first three months of 2014.
(Source: Banque de France, industrial products other than automotive).

Growth in the first quarter was particularly driven by sites selling consumer products (including online marketplaces), which registered an 8% growth over the year. At the same time, business-to-business sites have seen their sales rise by 9% over the period.

So far as internet sales in travel and tourism are concerned, there is a slight drop (1% down), due to the decline in the value of the average basket (-4%). These results arise in a global context, marked by a decline in long and medium-term activity, to the benefit of the French market. (Source: SNAV).

M-commerce and online marketplaces still in full growth

The iPM index, intended to measure the volume of online marketplace sales (sales through iCE 40 marketplace sites), increased by 41% in the first quarter, as compared to the first quarter of 2013. They represent 18% of the total business volume of sites within the iPM (as against 13% in the first quarter of 2013).

More and more E-commerce sites are appearing on the marketplace: the number of sites hosted by online marketplaces participating in the iPM index has almost doubled over the last twelve months.

The iCM index, which measures internet sales via mobile devices (smartphones and tablets, mobile sites and applications, excluding application downloads and online marketplace sales) increased by 76% in the first quarter of 2014, as compared to the first quarter of 2013.

Sales made via mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) represent an average 19% of turnover in sites participating in the index. 72% of these sales are made via an application or website optimized for mobile devices, while the remaining 28% go through the e-trader’s standard internet site.

Source: FEVAD

Shares